In 2019, the IAS Towards an HIV Cure initiative, in collaboration with the International Coalition to Eliminate Hepatitis B ICE-HBV, will organize a 1.5 day HIV & HBV Cure Forum on 20 & 21 July 2019, immediately preceding the 10th IAS Conference on HIV Science IAS 2019.
Mexico City, Mexico
20th July, 2019
21st July, 2019
Following the success of the 2017 HIV Cure & Cancer Forum, the 2019 Forum will focus specifically on the intersection between the scientific efforts in hepatitis B HBV and HIV cure research, and seek to merge these two disciplines to accelerate the pace of discovery in cure research for the two fields.
The Forum co-chairs represent an international cohort of experts in the HIV and HBV cure fields:
- Dr. Steven Deeks, Professor of Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco UCSF, United States
- Prof. Anna Kramvis, Director of the Hepatitis Virus Diversity Research Unit at the University of Witwatersrand, South Africa
- Prof. Sharon Lewin, Director of the Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity, University of Melbourne, Australia
- Prof. Seng Gee Lim, Director of Hepatology at the National University Health System, Singapore
- Accelerate research on similar curative strategies being tested in both domains;
- Create an environment to foster collaborations and merge the HIV cure and HBV cure disciplines;
- Provide an opportunity for the next generation of investigators to launch their careers through interaction and discussion with peers;
- Promote increased investments in cure research;
- Provide a platform for information sharing, debate and network among peers.